Your guide to spiritual formation books
There are lots of books about spiritual formation and discipleship in the Christian market. I’ve pulled together a (growing and changing) list of great books to help you dip into spiritual formation.
Each of these books invites you to get to know the Christian practice of spiritual formation through the disciplines of the Christian life. These are written to be entry-level guides to what might be for you a new area.
- Marjorie Thompson, Soul Feast.
- Richard Foster, Streams of Living Water.
- John Ortberg, The Life You’ve Always Wanted.
- Tony Jones, The Sacred Way
The enneagram is ancient approach to mapping the varieties within human personality. Each of these books give you an introduction to the enneagram or take you deeper into using the enneagram to understand yourself and those with whom you are in relationship.
- Ian Morgan Cron with Suzanne Stabile, The Road Back to You
- Suzanne Stabile, The Path Between Us
- Alice Fryling, Mirror for the Soul
- St. Augustine, The Confessions.
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim’s Progress.
- Jonathan Edwards, Religious Affections.
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Life Together.
- Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ.
- C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
- Annonymous, The Way of a Pilgrim
- Teresa of Avila, A Life of Prayer
- A. Schmemann, For the Life of the World
- H. Nouwen, Reaching Out