[Repost] How to follow well
I am on vacation this week so I am offering some older posts that remain relevant. I’ll be back online Monday.
Brad Lomenick of Catalyst posted this excellent list of characteristics of good followers. Every leader is a follower so take some time to scan the list and ask yourself: how good am I at following?
So here are a few thoughts on following:
1. Good followers are great finishers. They get the job done. Take projects across the finish line.
2. Good followers anticipate. They understand what needs to be done next before others, and are always looking for ways to make the process better.
3. Good followers criticize in private, and praise in public. Enough said on that.
4. Good followers are trustworthy. When given an assignment, a leader can be assured that it will get done. This is incredibly important.
5. Good followers are vision copycats. They take on, embody and live out the vision and mission of their leader, and of the organization.
6. Good followers make their leader better. They push their leader, and know how to lead up appropriately and intentionally.